What to do
Naxos counts various beaches to cover every taste. From small and cozy to big, organized with loud music and happenings. All you have to do is choose the one that suits you best. Note that a boat sails from Agia Anna to the most virgin and unspoilt beaches on the southeastern side of the island (daily from early June). You can also cruise to Koufonissia, Donousa, Schinoussa and Iraklia.
• Agios Prokopios: the island’s most famous beach. Agios Prokopios has been awarded with many Greek and International distinctions and is only 4 km away from the port. It is considered the 3rd best beach in Greece and one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in Europe. Well-organized with the ability for water sports. Close to it, is located the famed red lake that often hosts herons and worth a visit.
• Agia Anna: this is the natural continuation of Agios Prokopios beach and is probably the most famous beach of Naxos after Agios Prokopios. Organized, large and with a beautiful sandy beach and a cedar forest on the back. Ideal for those who likes water sports.
• Plaka: endless golden sand, amazing blue waters and view of Glaronisia and Paros. The sand dunes on the back of the beach give a special tone. It is organized, but the cedars near the sea offer a generous natural shade.
• Mikri Vigla: sandy, picturesque and unwind its ideal for families with young children, offering peace and relaxation. Those who like fishing will love it too.
• Kalantos: in the southernmost part of the island, almost unwind with shallow crystal clear waters. Next to the sand, a river flows out, resulting in a rich wetland habitat that hosts a variety of birds. Ideal for those who love nature.
• Port & Beach Panormos: Located on the southeastern coast of the island in a small closed bay it has a beautiful sandy beach with crystal clear waters. In the summer months there is a canteen. If you are in the mood of hiking take the path that starts from the beach and reaches the prehistoric acropolis of Amygdalies of Aperanthus to admire the stunning view towards Koufonisia.
• Moutsouna: The bay of Moutsouna in Naxos, hosts two wonderful sandy beaches ideal for families with young children.
• Orkos – Sagri: Between the beaches of Plaka and Mikri Vigla you will find small bays that form Orcos beach. Perfect for nature lovers and couples.
• Ayiasos: huge beach with shallow clear waters and fine golden sand. It stretches over 750 meters on the southwest coast of the island and is probably the most virgin beach of Naxos. The small coves with the caves formed on the side of the beach are ideal for snorkeling.
• Agios Georgios: just a few steps from Chora and awarded with Blue Flag, it is the ideal solution for those who do not want to leave far away from the city. Organized and with the ability of water sports. If you love surfing then head to the south side of the beach, which is a surf point for sports enthusiasts.
• Ammitis: It is the beach of Eggares. It has a large white sandy beach and very clear waters. It is worth to stay until sunset because here the sunset is just stunning. Perfect beach for surfing as it is quite exposed to the northern winds. Nature lovers will love it because of the small wetland formed there by the river’s outflow.
• Glyfada: sand dunes and shady cedars form the scenery. Due to the large extent even in August, it is relatively calm. It is ideal for fishing and water sports.
• Kastraki: A small bay with white fine sand, located behind the small Vigla peninsula and next to the beach of Glyfada. It is well organized.
• Lionas: wild beauty, white pebbles and crystal clear waters. Ideal to calm and relax.
• Chilia Vrisi: protected by most winds, has pebbles and transparent shallow waters.
• Kleidos: is a sandy beach with crystal clear shallow waters. Ideal for those who do not want to be among the crowd.
Naxos is ideal for almost any kind of water sport. The air with an average intensity of 5-7 beau fort favors windsurf. In Agios Giorgios and in Amittis there are north winds and meltemia and in Ayiassos southern winds are also appropriate for Wave. At Agios Giorgios lagoon the conditions are ideal for speed / slalom and freestyle windsurf. Mikri Vigla is an international meeting place for windsurf and kitesurf enthusiasts, many surfers also gather at Orkos.
Marine Sports Services Companies
•Flisvos Kitecentre, 22850 75490 Mikri Vigla Naxos
•Flisvos Sportclub Center, 22850 22928, 22850 22935, Agios Georgios
•Laguna Beach Park, 6972 426 905, Agios Georgios
•Naxos – Surf Club, 22850 29170, 6944 363147, Laguna, Agios Georgios
•Plaka Watersports, 6944 633194, 6945 916790, Plaka Beach
•Thalasea, 22850 75357, Mikri Vigla
Naxos is famous for its delicious and of exceptional quality cheeses. Choose among the famed Graviera PDO, the famous Arseniko, Xinomyzithra, Toumoulotiri, Afromyzithra, Kopanisti, Ladotiri, Thilikotiri and many others. The thyme honey is also excellent. Try the zamboni a kind of delicious salted meat and of course do not leave the island without buying Kitro a special and delicious traditional liqueur of the island.